Tuesday, March 10, 2009

NARS Bridal Palette

As much as I love my Lavshuca and newly acquired Shu palettes, the NARS Bridal Palette will always have an extra special place in my heart. It is an amazingly versatile palette that will take you from day to night and has almost everything essential a makeup beginner needs.


The NARS Bridal Palette includes 4 eyeshadows, a blush, a highlighter, and 4 lip colors. Just with the products in this palette, you can create at least 3-4 different looks for a variety of occassions. Other than needing to buy some applicators/brushes, this palette is really all a makeup beginner needs to get started. I was even able to put together a great makeup look that suited me without having to try on the first go. All of the other palettes I have worked with required at least some effort and a few tries to get the intensity of the colors, blending, and/or placement of the eyeshadows to look good on me. NARS Bridal seems to be able to effortlessly make any makeup beginner look good.


The eyeshadows in this palette include Edie, Nepal, Onidine, and Night Fever. Edie is a soft shimmery ivory that works great as a highlighter for the eyes. I don't know if I was a too gentle in swatching Edie or if the color just perfectly blends in with my natural skincolor, but you can only discern the soft gold shimmer in the swatch of Edie. Nepal is a shimmery pinkish beige that is beautiful as a base color all over the lids. Onidine is a medium-toned shimmery wine with a hint of taupe/brown and is probably the most complex color of the lot. In the pan, it looks more like a violet-toned taupe. Using Onidine as a crease color really brings definition to my eyes without making me look overly makeupy. The last color, Night Fever, is a black with burgundy shimmer. It doesn't look quite as black on my lids or in the pan as it does in the swatch, perhaps because I rubbed the color too much when I was swatching it. I always use this color as a liner color, unless I want to do smoky eyes ^^

The combination of these four shadows allows you to do a light, neutral day look, or a dramatic smoky eye look for the evening. I love how the colors are fairly neutral, yet there is still a pink/wine undertone to the three darker colors that gives an extra zing to the look.


The NARS Bridal Palette includes a NARS blush in Orgasm and a NARS highlighter in Albatross. Anyone who has spent any time on any makeup board will most likely have heard of NARS Orgasm as the infamous blush that makes everyone look good. Though there are some makeup junkies that argue the color is not pigmented enough and too sparkly, I personally absolutely adore Orgasm (no pun intended). Wanting to try this blush was also the reason why I bought this palette in the first place. Orgasm gives me a very natural flush that instantly makes me look more awake and alive. I am not bothered by the shimmer/sparkles since I think they are very fine and helps impart this gorgeous glow on my skin.

Albatross is a shimmery ivory highlighter that probably works great for contouring. Since I don't usually contour, I can't really tell if Albatross works better than anything else. When I use Albatross, I just brush it onto my T-zone and around my eyes for some extra glow on areas where I wouldn't want to apply Orgasm.


The lipcolors of the NARS Bridal Palette are the section of the palette that I use the least. The 4 lip products included are the NARS Lip Lacquer in Baby Doll and the NARS Sheer Lipstick in Mitzi, Sexual Healing, and Roman Holiday. I've found that the sheer lipsticks are a little hard, though rather pigmented compared to what I usually use. On the other hand, the lip lacquer is very sheer and soft, and more like what I would use normally. I don't really recall much about the lipcolors since I usually use some other lip product with the rest of the NARS Bridal Palette.


All photos in this entry were taken in natural light.

In short:
Every girl needs a NARS Bridal Palette! (...even if you're not going to be a bride) The eyeshadows, blush, and highlighter are all stunning. I don't recall as much about the lipcolors but I think they were fine (i.e., nothing really special, but nothing I particularly hate, either). This is my go-to and fall-back palette when I'm feeling uninspired and/or need something amazing for a big formal event.

No comments:

Post a Comment