Friday, March 13, 2009

Shiseido Hydro-Powder Eyeshadows: Cuteness in a Pot!

Ever since I first saw Shiseido The Makeup's Hydro-Powders, they have, without fail, caught my attention whenever I pass by the Shiseido counter at my local department store. They are just so adorable! The colors of the packaging (like all of The Makeup's items) are very elegant and grown-up-looking, but the little irregular shaped jars with colorful shadows inside look like cute pieces of colorful candy to me. Even though I've already amassed quite a collection of these Hydro-Powders, I can't help being attracted to them whenever I see them again. They are my first high end makeup items, and I hope they will remain my only high end makeup items (even though the jars are pretty big, $24 a pop is still expensive ~>.<~). That is, not counting the face palettes I'm still planning on buying from Chanel, Dior, and....you get the gist ^.~


Shiseido's Hydro-Powders are cream-to-powder shadows that feel slightly soft and creamy to the touch but dry down to a crease resistant finish. I've found that these shadows work better if you apply a thin layer, let dry, then apply another layer for more intensity. By applying this way, the application is more even and the shadows will be less likely to crease. Also, using this method of application and layering the shadows over UDPP will make these shadows completely crease-proof.

There is an applicator included with each shadow, but it's terrible at applying the shadow evenly to my lids. My fingers just do the trick so much better. However, the applicators are very useful for swatching ^^




All of the Hydro-Powders I purchased dry down to a pigmented metallic finish, except for H2, which is more sheer and sparkly. I have six colors, and I seriously love them all. H2 is a silvery white sparkle shade that's perfect for a retro look (see the ad for Shiseido's Spring 2009 campaign). H9 is a basic champagne gold that works well as a base for neutral eye looks. H9 is less shiney and reflective than H2, but more shimmery than the rest of the Hydro-Powders I own. H8 is a warm pink and also happens to be my favorite color because it's versatile but not boring. The three most colorful shades are H5-H7; H7 is a grass green, H5 is a teal blue, and H6 is a very cool toned purple that flashes blue.


All photos in this entry were taken under a combination of yellow and white light.

In short: I love the texture and pigment of these shadows, but also wish they were cheaper ><

No comments:

Post a Comment