Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Coffret D'or: My First Japanese Dept Store Experience

My beautiful cousin who had a cameo role in my last post also bought me a Coffret D'or eyeshadow palette while in Malaysia. I've been eyeing Coffret D'or palettes (as well as other Japanese dept store brand palettes like Maquillage's) for a long time, but haven't actually bought one since they're too expensive online >.< So imagine my excitement when I saw this classy palette in the bag of gifts she gave me!


This Coffret D'or palette is one in the Trance Deep Eyes line. I love the pretty silver with pink rhinestone packaging, though it does get dirty easily from fingerprints. The palette comes with two dual ended applicators, one wider and one thinner, and each with a brush on one end and a sponge-tip applicator on the other. The brushes are very soft, and the sponge-tip applicators work well to pack on the color, so you really don't need to have another brush or applicator to work with this palette. The eyeshadows are very finely milled, with gorgeous shimmer that is not tacky. The colors are sheer but buildable. However, these eyeshadows crease very easily, pretty much within 1-2 hours without UDPP. Therefore, you definitely need to apply these over UDPP to get long-lasting color.


My cousin got me the Trance Deep Eyes in 04 Grey Variation which is a silver and lavender palette. The palette contains a shimmery white (A), a shimmery cool toned lavender (B), a shimmery dark gray (C), and a very shimmery silver (D). I was pleasantly surprised that C was as shimmery as A and B since in most palettes, the darker liner color will usually be less shimmery. Also, using the brushes to apply A and D, I really couldn't tell the difference between them as they both just look shimmery. However, if I pack on the color with my fingers or an applicator (as I did in the swatch), I can see that A is whiter than D and a little bit more subdued with the shimmer. The overall finished look of this palette is a ladylike, cool-toned neutral look with a touch of lavender. Although the shimmer is very obvious in all 4 shades when I'm applying the shadows, from a distance (about how far you would normally stand apart from someone when talking), the shimmer just gives radiant glow as opposed to looking glittery.


The following is the suggested method of applying the shadows, which I followed and had great results.


All pictures in this post were taken under natural light.

In short: I love my first encounter with Coffret D'or! The Trance Deep Eyes palette in 04 Grey Variation is gorgeous, glowy, and not garish. I'm not sure I love it more than my cheaper drugstore palettes, but it's well worth your money if you don't have or don't want to use separate applicators.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please click here to see this palette used in an EOTD.

No comments:

Post a Comment