Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Majolica Majorca: The Original Drugstore Princess

As I've previously mentioned in the Lavshuca post, Majolica Majorca can be hailed as the originator of princessy brand image in the Japanese drugstore. My first MJ (a short form of Majolica Majorca) product is a Shadow Customize that was a magazine's gift with purchase. I instantly fell in love with the texture and pigmentation of the eyeshadow, so I ordered more online. Unfortunately, I was not that happy with the new colors I bought so I swapped them away. Since then, I've been tempted by more MJ products (mostly eyeshadows) but haven't had a chance to order anything. Then came my savior cousin who, on a recent trip to Malaysia, was kind enough to get me a Majolook (as MJ's eyeshadow palettes are called) and the famous SV821 Shadow Customize that has many a beauty blogger raving. So today, I will be reviewing my 2 Shadow Customize and the Majolook I have.


Most of Majolica Majorca's shadows are pigmented (compared to other Japanese drugstore brands), finely milled, and beautifully shimmery. However, sometimes it's a hit or miss since some of the Shadow Customize are hard and not very pigmented, as I have experienced. In addition, I have heard that the general quality of the shadows in the Majolooks are not quite as nice as the good Shadow Customize. In any case, if you are considering buying MJ's Shadow Customize, I would recommend you to look over fleckenschnitte's notepad on Makeup Alley since she has a detailed breakdown of which shadows are nice and which are bad. You should also search for reviews online of the Majolooks you are looking to acquire to make sure they are of good quality.

Thankfully, all of the MJ eyeshadow products I currently own are awesome, though the color payoff of the Majolook is a little sheerer than that of the Shadow Customize. Nonetheless, the shadows in all three products are soft, finely milled, reasonably pigmented, and contain gorgeous shimmers. In addition, these shadows are all fairly long-lasting, though not quite as good as the Lavshuca shadows in this department, if applied without UDPP. A crease-less finish is guaranteed, though, if applied with UDPP.

The Shadow Customize are packaged in these cute little plastic drawers so the shadows will slide out when you pull on the gold part on top. You can purchase a separate case to hold 3 Shadow Customize together, but since the original packaging is so cute, I don't feel any incentive to buy a case. As the Shadow Customize don't come with applicators and neither does the case, you have to purchase any applicators you want separately (MJ sells them).



The Shadow Customize I own are 16 and SV821. 16 seems to be discontinued, and I'm not sure which collection it was released with since I got it as a gift with purchase from a magazine a couple of years ago. 16 is a shimmery metallic pinkish brown, whereas SV821 is a complex shimmery metallic taupe. The two colors look very similar in the swatch, but in real life, SV821 is brighter and distinictively cooler than 16; I just couldn't seem to get the colors to show up more accurately on photo.


Equally pretty as the Shadow Customize packaging, the Majolooks are housed in a shimmery but classy off-white case (see the first picture up at the top for the beautiful design on the front). In addition, unlike the Shadow Customize, Majolooks come with a dual ended sponge-tip applicator, which I personally really like since they seem to be more compact and smoother than most sponge-tip applicators.


The Majolook I have is one of the Trick On in BR751. This line of Majolooks is called Trick On because of the Trick On powder on the bottom right that's supposed to provide a radiant, shimmery finish to the look. BR751 contains a shimmery light gold highlighter shade (A), a shimmery taupe crease shade with a hint of lilac/lavender (B), a slightly less shimmery brown liner shade (C), and a white Trick On powder with a lot of pale pink shimmer (D). The B shade in BR751 is close to SV821, but SV821 is still a bit brighter and more pigmented. Also, the B shade looks a lot more brown on my arm than it does in the swatch picture or on my lids. On the lids, it's a more lilac-y silvery taupe than the brown taupe that I see on my arm in real life. Still, the finished look of this palette is an neutral look that's understated but still outstanding.


Here is the English instructions on the back of the box. Usually the instruction are in Japanese, but because my cousin bought it in Malaysia, they put a sticker with the English instructions on the back and covered up the Japanese instructions. You can even see its price at Watson's! =P One complaint I have with buying this product at Watson's is that they stuck an anti-theft strip right on the back of the Majolook (not on the box but on the palette itself). I was able to get the strip off, but there is still some glue stuck on the palette that I can't get off, which is so annoying as it's defacing my beautiful palette ~><~


All of the pictures taken for this entry were taken under natural light, thanks to the currently beautiful weather here ^^

In short: I love MJ shadows for their soft texture, nice pigmentation, and beautiful shimmer. Be careful about picking the colors, though, because not all of the MJ shadows/shadow palettes were created equally. Make sure to read a couple of reviews on the specific color you want to acquire before actually buying them!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

UPDATE:

I've taken a comparison photo under a mix of white and yellow light to better illustrate the difference between my two Shadow Customize and the B shade in the Majolook. All of the shadows were swiped once to show how pigmented each is in comparison to the others.


This photo is much better than my previous swatch of the Shadow Customize under natural light in showing that SV821 doesn't look like 16 at all; the prior is a cool taupe and the latter is a brown. In fact, SV821 is much closer in color to shade B in the Majolook as both of them are taupes. However, when viewed in real life, SV821 has a pinkish lilac-y undertone, whereas B has a yellowish-green undertone, so they still can't be considered dupes of each other. In terms of pigmentation, SV821 > 16 > B. SV821 and 16 both show up fairly opaque on skin with one swipe, while B is pretty sheer when only swiped once.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please click here to see the above MJ quad used in an EOTD.

No comments:

Post a Comment