Thursday, March 5, 2009

My Base Makeup

I haven't found my HG foundation and concealer yet, but since I normally don't use base makeup items, I'm less inclined to go out and do a proper search for my HG. In the meantime, I've been using the L'Oreal True Match Compact Makeup and the True Match Concealer for special occasions when I feel like I need to put on some foundation and/or concealer (usually for picture-taking purposes).


My foundation shade with True Match is N3 Natural Buff, though I use the W4-5 concealer. The texture of the foundation is matte and matches my skin tone fairly well. The coverage is pretty sheer, though it does help obscure my medium-sized pores. This foundation can be a bit drying so I have to make sure my skin is well-hydrated before I can apply the foundation or it'll accentuate the dry spots and make them look flaky. Also, I've found that the effect of applying this foundation to my entire face is too matte on its own, i.e., it makes my face look very one-dimensional, so I never apply the foundation to my entire face. The lasting power of this foundation is not great, and it rubs off on other things really easily, but thankfully, it doesn't oxidize on me. I usually apply the foundation with my fingers and the sponge included, though I have tried applying with a foundation brush, but it just took too long and the coverage wasn't any different.


I chose to purchase a concealer one shade darker than my skin and in a warmer tone because I've heard that something darker and yellow will help conceal pimples (or redness in general) better. I'm not sure I can validate or disprove that statement, but I can say for sure that this concealer is on the sheer side. If the pimple I have is not too red, then the concealer can usually completely conceal it. However, if the pimple is really inflamed or if there is a scar, then the pimple will not be completely concealed, and the concealer will make the pimple turn a gray-ish tint. I find that to get fuller coverage, I need to apply it in layers, a little at a time because of how liquid the concealer is. But because the concealer is very liquidy, it also spreads really easily. Another upside is that the concealer is not drying so I can apply a sheer layer under my eyes to hide my dark circles without accentuating my fine line. Just remember that a little goes a long way and only apply a sheer layer, though (or you'll end up with a yellow mess under your eyes). I usually apply concealer by dotting some with the applicator on the place I want to conceal, then quickly spread the concealer out using my fingers in a quick blotting motion (don't rub).


All of the pictures in this entry were taken in natural light.

In short: The L'Oreal True Match Compact Makeup and Concealer are okay, but not great. The foundation can be a bit drying and too matte, while the concealer is a little sheer. The pros are that the foundation is very easy to use and portable, and that the concealer is not drying. Plus, they're both fairly inexpensive since L'Oreal is a drugstore brand.

No comments:

Post a Comment