Thursday, March 12, 2009

Kate: Rocking Attitude

Kanebo's Kate is kind of an oddball in Japanese makeup lines since it goes for a more bad girl look, as opposed to the usual elegant or girly image that most other Japanese lines endorse. As far as I know, there is only one other Japanese line that also goes for a similar look, which is Kose's Visee. In this entry, I am going to share with you the only Kate eyeshadow quint have I have, Deep Trap Eyes in GY-1 (the packaging on the front says Deep Eyes, but the name is actually Deep Trap Eyes).


Unlike Lavshuca's packaging, Kate's palette is simple and black. Though some say that it looks cheap, I actually think it's still well-designed despite the simplicity. All of the colors in this quint are shimmery, and both the powder and the shimmer of the shadows are very fine. The one downside of this palette is that it still creases on me at the end of the day even with the help of UDPP. The applicator included is double-ended, like the Lavshuca applicators, and have a wider end for shadow application and a thinner end for lining.


As this is a quint, this palette contains five eyeshadows. Although the name is GY-1 (for gray), the palette is an interesting mix of neutral browns and grays. As labeled in the swatch below, A is a pale champagne gold, B is a medium to light neutral brown, C is a dark pewter gray, D is a black, and E is a golden brown. As I've mentioned before, all of the colors are shimmery, but E is more shimmery than the others (but NOT sparkly, E is not like the sparkle shade in the Lavshuca quads). Sorry if the "numbering" seems a bit erratic, but I numbered them in the order of how you're supposed to apply the colors.


Using the four lighter colors of GY-1, I can create an office-appropriate day look, or with all five colors, I can create a more dramatic smoky eye. The name "Deep Trap Eyes" really does describe the effect of the quint, even if it is not completely grammatical. I've posted a diagram of the suggested way of applying the eyeshadows for reference.


Considering how much I like this palette, I am tempted to try some other Kate palettes to see if I like them as much. I'm not as interested in the other colors available for the Deep Trap line though, so I might get myself a Glam Trick Eyes quint...

All photos in this entry were taken in natural light.

In short: A very versatile palette for the office or a party. It's hard to go wrong with the colors, and the quint itself is very easy to use. The quality of the shadows are also excellent though you may have problems with creasing if you're a oily lid girl like me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please click here to see this Kate quad used in an EOTD.

No comments:

Post a Comment