Sunday, June 7, 2009

Dior 5 Couleurs Iridescent in 809 Petal Shine

After somewhat of a hiatus from doing any substantial reviewing, I've finally got something new to review: my first Dior makeup item. On that destined day when I touched a Dior iridescent quint at Sephora, I vowed that one day, I, too, will be an owner of some of these beautiful shimmery eyeshadows. And now I am ^^ Before I finalized my purchase, I did some fairly extensive research online and settled on getting Petal Shine because I simply can't resist lavender/purple shadows >< Plus, this seemed like the most versatile palette for me that wasn't brown-themed, and I have too many beige/brown shadows already.


Even though I was dying to own this quint, I could still hear my heart (and bank) weeping when I saw the steep price on my credit card bill. Therefore, I was very pleasantly surprised when I saw this velvet pouch holding my fresh-off-the-rack Dior quint inside the exterior cardboard box. My thinking was that at least I'm getting something extra from the $56 I spent =P Plus, this ensures that the case for the quint is well protected if I put it in my purse or luggage for a trip.


After you open the lid of the quint, you will see a sturdy plastic protective cap covering the shadows (or protecting the mirror from being defaced by the shadows?). This cap is much more sturdy than the usual plastic films we see in cosmetics cases, and it's held in place by this tab that inserts into where the case opens (it's hard to explain unless you see it for yourself). This extra design feature also comforts me a little more; at least the Dior design team are spending some of my money on engineering good sturdy protective covers for my shadows =P


The actual shadows themselves are very silky and fine. The lasting power is also fairly good as long as I apply UDPP underneath with no sunscreen. The pigmentation is sheer but somewhat buildable. The shimmers are, of course, very shimmery. In fact, the reason I fell in love with these iridescent quints in the first place was due to the pretty shimmers that are not over-the-top sparkly but simply give off this nice glow that's absolutely gorgeous. But obviously, if you're a MAC kind of girl, this quint would be way too sheer for your taste.


You can better see the shimmers in the following picture that was taken under more direct sunlight. I would also say that the color of the quint is more accurate in the following picture than in the above picture.


Note that there are two two-sided sponge-tip applicators included. I normally apply shadows with my fingers, but I've found that applying with these sponge-tip applicators increases the intensity of the pigmentation, so I would definitely recommend using the applicators included.

The five shades in the Petal Shine are an off-white (A), a very light beige pink (B), a medium peach (C), a medium taupe (D), and a medium-dark purple (E). Like I've previously mentioned, all of the colors are sheer and very shimmery so I definitely can't use this palette on its own since my eyes would look very puffy. If I had to, I can make do with just this palette and some eyeliner, but if I had a choice, I would only pick colors from this palette to use in conjunction with other palettes. I feel like all of the shades in the quint can be used for highlighting, but obviously, to use as a highlighter, you would need to apply D and E more sheer-ly than you would with the lighter shades.


The following two pictures show the directions in the little booklet included in the box. The makers suggest that you use the lightest shade to highlight, the darkest shade to line and apply in the crease, and a third shade of your choice to apply to above the crease. Pretty simple directions and not at all inventive, but it's something for you to try if you have no idea how to use the palette. I personally think the darkest shade is not dark enough for lining, so these directions don't work for me at all.



All photos in this post were taken under sunlight.

In short: Love the Dior iridescent quint in 809 Petal Shine for the packaging and texture, but wish the the shadows were a bit more pigmented and less expensive ><

No comments:

Post a Comment