Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Inspiration - Maquillage Spring 2010

For Maquillage's latest spring campaign, the brand chose a new spokesmodel and stuck with this one person instead of the usual 4-5 models they use for bigger releases (spring & fall). The new spokesmodel is ICONIQ, a Japanese artist who grew up in Japan but started her entertainment career as part of a Korean girl group (kind of confusing). Honestly, I'm not a big fan of the hair, but I'll admit she still looks really pretty. I'm also kind of ambivalent about her eye makeup in the ad, but the limited edition palettes (one was used in the ad) are adorable and I like her lip color ^^

This is slightly off topic, but I think that most female artists can be divided into two types: the type that looks prettier in pictures and the type that looks prettier in videos (or you can say still vs. moving). I consider ICONIQ as the former type; for some reason she just doesn't look as pretty when she's not posing ^^"' An example of the latter type (for me) is Ayase Haruka, who looks pretty in dramas but somehow off in her MaxFactor ads. Same thing with Shinohara Ryoko, who is a great actress and a long time MQ spokesmodel (though maybe not anymore...I wonder if MQ will use the original models again for the fall campaign). The only exception I can think of to my two types of female artist rule is Ueno Juri, who looks different in photos vs. videos but pretty either way ^^

2 comments:

  1. I agree with this! I just google-imaged Ueno Juri - she's so pretty! Her look is totally fresh and unpretentious. I think she'd be really suitable for spring campaign makeup ads. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear miss wiggle,

    Don't know if you noticed this during your Google search, but Ueno Juri was actually a spokesmodel for Maquillage last year. I particularly liked her image ads for the fall/winter seasons, and I definitely hope that Maquillage will continue using her for the future collections.

    Thanks for commenting!

    -J

    ReplyDelete