Wednesday, August 12, 2009

MAC Mineralize Eyeshadow in Girlish Romp

This purchase marks two firsts for me: my first mineral makeup purchase as well as my first MAC purchase. For those of you who don't follow MAC, Girlish Romp is a limited edition quad from the Colour Craft collection of summer '09. Originally, I was drawn to Eccentricity (the purple/bronze palette), but then I decided that it looked too much like a combination of Lavsuca Eye Color Select in PU-2 plus the Lunasol palette I just bought. Plus, I read a Chinese review on Girlish Romp with pictures of EOTD with Girlish Romp that convinced me this would be a good addition to my collection since I am liking sheer colors more than intense pigmented colors right now.


The packaging of this quad is the same as the ones for the regular Mineralize shadow duos, which means that there is very little of each color. The size might be an issue with some people, but I actually like the small size since I never use up my eyeshadows anyway. The small size is also very convenient for traveling, though I wish there is a divider between the different colors so the powder for the different colors don't travel onto other colors.


The texture of the shadows are pretty smooth, but they may be a bit too powdery since the packaging gets dirty with a lot of loosened shadow particles very quickly. The color payoff is very good in my opinion, though all the colors are light so they may be too sheer for people with darker complexions. The lasting power of these shadows are also pretty good for me when I have UDPP on underneath.


The colors in the quad are a pale ivory gold (A), a pale peach (B), a medium cool pink (C), and a pale lavender that almost looks silver (D). Despite the mix of warm and cool colors, all four actually work very well together for one eye look. Also, all of the shadows are shimmery, though the way they shimmer are a little different. Color A looks like an ivory with gold shimmer, whereas the other shades appear as the actual colors with a metallic-y finish. For the overall look, I think this quad is perfect for spring and with sun dresses since the shadows give a sheer but noticeable wash of color. Too bad it is already late summer now, but I foresee me getting a lot of use out of this palette next spring (that is, if I don't fall in love with something else before then ^.~).


All photos in this post were taken under natural light.

In short: A really beautiful quad for those who are not looking for intense colors. If you only use neutral shadows, this quad may be a good first step towards using more colorful shadows. Plus, four colors (albeit small) for $19.50 is a great deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment